After giving out a 30-second teaser of the song recently, Ghost have now released the full single for the song Rats. The single is the title track for the band’s forthcoming studio album and follow-up to 2015’s successful Meliora.
Tobias Forge in an interview with Revolver Magazine, spoke of the meaning behind the song, being more metaphor than descriptive. “It’s actually not technically about rodents. It’s about something spreading as wildfire and completely destroying things quicker than you know. It was how the plague started in Europe. It was basically a couple of merchant ships that had been over in Crimea. A few of them sailed into the port of Messina in Sicily, and according to the legend, from the ship came rats and they were carrying the fleas that had this bubonic plague. Almost everyone on the ship was dead and dying.”
You can listen to the single below.
The single is first to feature new front man Cardinal Copia who replaces Papa Emeritus III, whom was thrown off the stage at the band’s final tour for Meliora. Cardinal Copia made his debut live appearance with the band at a private acoustic show in Chicago on the 6th April.
In the same interview with Revolver Magazine, Tobias Forge also spoke of the themes of the new album Rats. “It is loosely themed around the concept of death and doom. It’s a themed album around medieval times, but it’s definitely clinging onto a lot of very current things. The Black Death [plague] is a great example of a turning point for a whole civilisation. Complete villages were annihilated. Most people knew very little, so all of it was God or the Devil — and about their faith being questioned: Why are we being stricken down by this great scourge? It must be because of our not fearing God enough and all this superstitious bullshit.”
Rats will be released this summer through Loma Vista Recordings.
Check out our reviews:
- Opus Eponymous: https://demonszone.com/albums/ghost/opus-eponymous/
- Infestissumam: https://demonszone.com/albums/ghost/infestissumam/
- Meliora: https://demonszone.com/albums/ghost/meliora/
- Popestar: https://demonszone.com/albums/ghost/popestar/
- Ceremony and Devotion: https://demonszone.com/albums/ghost/ceremony-and-devotion/
- Glasgow Meliora concert review: https://demonszone.com/gigs/ghost-the-abc-glasgow-181215/
- Glasgow’s Popestar show: https://demonszone.com/gigs/ghost-w-zombi-abc-glasgow-29317/